Monday, February 6, 2012

TI-PublishView and Online Learning

Sorry I haven't blogged much this week. Reports were due and there was lots of correcting, comments, etc... that needed to get done. Hopefully my blogging now returns to normal :)

I have to admit that when the new TI-Nspire OS was released last year, I did not get too excited over the fact that the handheld screen was in colour. Now don't get me wrong, any math teacher who draws multiple graphs on the same set of axes knows the importance of colour. On the TI-Nspire, being able to link the colour of a function in equation, table and graphical forms was even more powerful visually... all of which the TI-Nspire has. But the feature that had me the most excited and the one I use most often is the TI-Publishview feature of the TI-Nspire software. 

As an online math teacher I am always looking to create interactive content. The problem is that I do not have the time to become proficient with all the different languages out there. So, programming in Flash (which looks like it will be replaced with HTML 5) for example was out. But I still wanted to create objects deployable to my course shell in Desire2Learn ( for tracking and analytics of student use) that allowed students to interact with the math, move points, change functions, etc.

Before the release of the latest version of the TI-Nspire, I could create these interactive elements but either a handheld or software was needed for deployment... meaning deployment inside my D2L course wasn't easy. I could still use BlackBoard Collaborate to application share the software (which by the way was and is an excellent teaching tool combination) but interaction was exclusive to the student that I allowed to use the application as I shared it. Then comes along TI-Publishview. Below is a video of the type of math content that I create and place inside Desire2Learn as well as application share with BlackBoard Collaborate (Elluminate Live)  



All the power of the TI-Nspire technologies can now be used to create interactive math objects. These objects are deployable to the web, but can also be used in conjunction with any interactive whiteboard technology (eg Mimio, Smart, Promethean, TeamBoard, etc..) If you wish to see more of these objects in action, click on the link below.


If you wish to learn more about TI-PublishView and TI Technologies then click on the link below.


There are loads of resources for teachers on their website and lots of information. 

On July 4-6 2012 there will be a 3 day workshop in St. John's on the use of TI-Nspire. Workshops will also take place all throughout North America and beyond. Again, go to the website for more details.

No comments: